Anyone who knows me at all should have an inkling to how much I love my dogs. They're not dogs... they're family. We've done this to ourselves, I'll be the first to admit. Sure, anyone can have a dog. Buy a furry four-legged tail wagger, play with it while its young, tie it up outside when it gets older... and all you will have is a dog. However, it takes a rather attentive family to "adopt" a dog as one in the family. Buy that cute little tail-wagger, nurture it, give it attention, talk to it, coo at it, train it, play with it, and it will develop a unique personality. If you get the right breed of course, but that's another post. (Anyone who knows me at all also knows how partial I am to golden retrievers.)
Last Christmas holiday, I missed out on a trip with Sam and his family to visit some extended family because my parents had left town for the weekend and I was home taking care of the girls (Nike and Murphy). Now, please understand, when those dark, sad eyes glare up at you when they see a suitcase, it could make anyone feel guilty! So, after my parents departure the day before, the girls were still a little depressed, and I just didn't want to leave them at 8am and not get back until 11pm... (Sam's extended family lives north of Nashville, so it wasn't like I would be able to run home and check on them or feed them.) A joke was made that the dogs were more important to me than his family (and they were just kidding!) but honestly...... well, nevermind.
Then there is Montana... my sister's great dane... Danes are also apparently pretty sensitive to their owners' leaving. I've heard stories about danes "pouting" when their owners return because they left in the first place. (i.e. laying on a pillow on the other side of the room rather than on the couch beside their owner where they normally lay.) Montana finds her ways to "pout" and as an example... when my sister was gone to work all day, then went out to dinner with friends and didn't get home until late, Montana decided she would sleep with me instead of with Jennifer... You might think it's a coincidence, but it really isn't.
Those stories are only to preface this one: My cousins took a vacation last year sometime and boarded their chocolate lab, Cola. It took WEEKS for Cola to return to her normal, energetic, happy self. Cola was well taken care of, fed/watered, was able to stay in an indoor/outdoor kennel... but for whatever reason, the experience was traumatic. When my cousins planned their vacation this summer (a couple months ago) they asked me to stay and take care of Cola, as well as the newest addition, little Gunny. Sam is gone the first part of this week on a camping/hiking trip, so I haven't been able to talk to him very much at all... My close friend Meagan is taking a class, working, and has VBS this week, so I haven't gotten to see her very much... and Dad is working days, Mom nights, so seeing them is kind of sporadic, too! It would be pretty lonely.... but, as the title says... I have had so much fun already with Gunny.
Puppies are such WORK! But, so rewarding. She has already bonded to me a bit, and its so sweet the way I'll call her name from across the yard, and she just comes running! Even everyday things are still new and interesting to her. The garage door is still a little scary sounding... Puddles are such fun to play in!... and carrying the newspaper every morning just might be better than anything else in the world. It rained yesterday morning, and I just wish that I could have gotten a video of her... She would just walk around aimlessly, accidentally step in a puddle, and then she would just jump up and down splashing! It was the cutest thing. So, since I'm apparently long winded and if you've read this far, maybe you should just be rewarded with some pictures...
"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." - M. Acklam
No comments:
Post a Comment