Monday, September 8, 2008

GET OUT


So this whole working in an office thing? It has its good days and its bad days. Today was a good day. Yet no matter how great the the day may be, it dulls in comparison to a day spent in the woods. For days I have attempted to blog, only to sit here watching the blinking line, willing for words to appear, then quickly distracted by the REI website. I didn't realize how bad this obsession of hiking had become until I stopped some people in the office to look at my hiking pictures. See? This is where we hiked Chimney Tops. Isn't the sunset incredible?! This is from Mt. LeConte-- what a journey! This is one of my favorites-- at Cloundland Canyon; look at Nike's expression! Ooh, and I love this one, too... Shad and Sam sure make me laugh. And in this one, hey, do you know what a bladder is? Yeah, well, its a water container. Montana is drinking out it, isn't that funny? .... OH HOW I WANT TO GET OUT! Can you tell? I'm convinced that just as wild animals aren't meant to be kept in cages, people are not meant to be contained either. As it is, I feel like I'm trapped by weather, time, work, and commitments.

This FALL (if I could make those 4 letters dance on the screen, I would, because everytime I think of FALL, my heart starts dancing!) you had better believe I'll be in the mountains. It's tough right now- the weather is just disgusting. I am so eagerly awaiting that 50-60 degree weather (easier to come by in the mountains) and the burn in my legs from climbing... the color of the leaves, the serenity of a nearby stream, the challenge of a 6 mile hike with a couple thousand feet (give or take) change in altitude... what doesn't sound amazing about that?

It all comes down to this. Being in the mountains is a time where I am so fully surrounded by God's presence. More than just feeling Him, I can see Him, I can more deeply connect. I'm not sure why, but God stirs my soul in the mountains. Hiking is more than just a hobby- its an activity in which I connect with my Creator. For those of you who have read The Shack, it's like that kind of... When I'm away from the mountains/shack, I still know God is there, but there's a different kind of interaction when I'm hiking in the mountains (like visiting the shack).

I think we were created to GET OUT. So, I'm going to challenge you to find a way to GET OUT and get away from everything this materialistic, instantly gratifying culture offers. I've found my calling- hiking. What's yours? If you haven't found one, come hike with me this fall. Hey, even if you have found your calling, and especially if you think hiking is just not for you... (yes, I had you in mind as I'm typing this)... Come with me! He's calling us up there...

And, since I know some of you are wondering about those pictures...







1 comment:

Mary said...

OK....so I'm that "you"....Ha, Ha.....I'll still go on a hike (no sleeping), but the nurse in me just won't allow myself to drink from somthing called a bladder......I just think it's a reservoir for pee....yuck.......but I'll try anything with you once, girl.....