Monday, May 3, 2010

Forgiveness

Tonight at small group, the concept of forgiveness came up.  My small group has a blog that we use as a communication tool (it's set to where only members of our small group can access it, though)...  Anyway, I posted this about forgiveness, and decided to post it here, too.  Just my thoughts :-)

Forgiveness is to set a prisoner free, and to realize the prisoner was you.
-Corrie Ten Boom

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times."
-Matthew 18:21-22

From what Jesus says, I think that forgiveness is not a one-time choice and then we automatically live in a state of forgiveness ... maybe instead Jesus meant that forgiveness may require a lot of forgiving. We know it is important to the Lord, and I believe it is important to our relationship with God. We gotta continue forgiving until the matter is settled in our heart.

Why do we have to forgive?  The best reason I can give is because Jesus said to.  And, if you want to know why I think He told us to forgive... it's not because it's about the person we're forgiving (though that can be an amazing gift to them).  I think it is because He understands what unforgiveness does to us.  And WE are precious to Him.  WE are His creation.  WE are His beloved.  He wants us to experience HIM... His love, His mercy, His compassion, His grace, His forgiveness.

Photobucket

No comments: