Sunday, July 15, 2012

Forest Fair 2012


The Girdwood Forest Fair features Alaskan artists, hand-crafted items, exotic foods, and entertainers from all over Alaska. It is the biggest thing our town does.  During the weekend, Girdwood usually triples in population... just to give you an idea about this event!  I worked most of the weekend, but had Friday off so I could go check out the fair... 

crafts, bands, and corn fritters/canadian fries = FOREST fair!

signage... art.. and fair food! (an empanada)

hahaha ... no I did not put all of that in my mouth...

Forest Fair is one of those times when the community really pulls together! This year, CRM was able to help vendors set up at the beginning, as well as help with clean-up once the fair ended. Something that has been on my mind a lot lately is the focus on community here in Girdwood. For being a resort town, it is actually quite idyllic... there is not a chain restaurant or store, kids are able to ride their bikes to school and around the town for fun without worries (other than wildlife, but they don't really bother anyone), lots of people grow their own produce (and share with their neighbors), the only gas station is on the outskirts of town, and in general, people really look out for each other. I get so much joy from being a part of this community... and would love for you to come visit!
Photobucket

No comments: