Now, to share a bit about what I've been doing with my time this Spring... P
retty much everything I just wrote (in the post below) sums up January. In February, my sister came! So on to March...
 |
| Meet Tyler! |
This winter, I met an amazing man named Tyler, and this spring, we started getting to know each other. Around St. Patrick's Day, we went to a concert and saw the most amazing display of Northern Lights I've ever seen in Girdwood. That night I was with Tyler, Emily, and Tara... And it could not have been more perfect, having my two best friends and the guy who I was quickly becoming rather fond of, to share it with. That night, we were standing out in the snow watching the lights when I saw a photographer start up the mountain. It took me a few months, but I was able to track down a print!
 |
| my favorite print, taken around midnight or a bit after on St. Patrick's Day by Daryl Pederson |
 |
Another shot of the Lights on St. Patrick's Day
(not sure who took this one; it was posted on Alyeska Facebook page) |
 |
| A pic my friend Andrea took the same night |
March was a month all about the Northern Lights. There was another evening, earlier in the month, when Tara and me were hanging out. This was a particularly challenging winter for us for different reasons... but we had each other. :) One clear night, we decided to take a drive out to Turnagain Pass. BEAUTIFUL EVENING. I started playing with some settings on my camera... trying to get some good night shots with the stars and constellations.
 |
| the big dipper from Gun Mountain |
We drove out a bit further, took a few more pictures, and started heading back to Girdwood, with no expectations (or hopes even) to see the aurora. But then there was a faint glimmer, perhaps, maybe... We pulled over and waited just a moment... and then... WOW! I have no doubt they were simply a gift from God to Tara and me. I didn't bother trying to get the perfect shot- I was too captivated by the dancing lights overhead, but these will give you an idea...
George and Kathy welcomed me into their home when I moved here (Oct 2011), and I stayed with them until I found a place of my own. In March, they sold their house in Girdwood, and moved to Anchorage. I miss them dearly, but at least they are still close! In April, Emily, Eric, Tyler and I decided to go to
Tailgate. Tailgate is a big, backcountry ski/snowboard/snow machining event... where people camp and play in Thompson Pass near Valdez. As Emily and Tyler are avid backcountry snowboarders, and Eric is a backcountry skier, it makes sense why they were so into it. As for me? Well, I can take pictures! :) And who doesn't love a good road trip? I got a bit more than I bargained for with below freezing temps, but it was a memorable weekend... And I have some great pics to prove it!
 |
| our caravan |
 |
| Me and Emily |
 |
| Tyler and me |
 |
| Em and Eric |
 |
| Dozer and me |
 |
| Em and Dozer |
 |
| Ty getting ready to hike |
 |
| Eric and Em gearing up |
 |
| beautiful, right? |
 |
| Lion Head Rock |
April also marked the start of our Bible study meeting at my apartment, instead of George and Kathy's home. About this time, I met Megan! In May, we went out to the Arm to watch the Bore Tide, went and got some dinner from the Turnagain Arm Pit BBQ, and then off to Whittier for a short hike. That was the beginning of a beautiful friendship!
 |
| Meet Megan! |
Megan quickly became one of my best friends. We discovered we have kindred spirits... very similar upbringings, shared beliefs/values, love lots of the same music/movies/books, enjoy the same hobbies... Especially considering Em and Tara had both moved to Anchorage, Megan's proximity and friendship has been, and continues to be, such a blessing. The day we spent out and about was my last day off from work before my
summer interns arrived, so I'll be posting again soon to cover some more of the adventures we had with the interns!
No comments:
Post a Comment