I was good friends with a group of guys (from the Baptist Collegiate Ministry) my first couple years of college. They liked to play poker, and one semester decided to do a poker tournament (at the BCM...ha!). Their apartment was on my "Top 3 Most Frequented Places" in college, so I decided I should learn to play, just so I could join in a game or two instead of just watching. [Which, let's face it, I just do not enjoy watching a poker game. And, it is really irratating how they can throw 2.6 million dollars worth of chips into the pot like they're pennies.] The guys seemed to enjoy me playing, because a list of what cards/hands beats what was permantly added to their wall... I refused to play without that list because I just couldn't (and still can't) remember if a flush, straight, or full house is better hand. Now, aside from this little hiccup (of having to present a player with a list of rankings) these guys took their poker playing SERIOUSLY. Money was rarely (if ever) involved, but you'd think these guys were playing for millions! They were very patient with me as I learned the game and improved. One guy in particular really helped me out and taught me a lot, but got to a point where he didn't want to teach me anymore because I'd start learning his strategy (riiiiiiiight, because I can't even remember if a straight or a flush is better...). This same guy convinces me to play in the BCM-wide poker tournament. 3 tables of 6, and the top two from each will play at the winner's table. At my table was 5 of the guys I always played with... Several hours into the game that started at 9pm, three guys are out... there's just two guys and me left: my "teacher" if you will, me, and one other. It was crunch time, and quite honestly I was ready to go to bed! It was past midnight, and I had plans the next morning. I just decided to hurry up and end the game so they could go on to the winner's table. Well, I had the yuckiest hand I'd had the whole game. I couldn't do a thing with it. So, I bluffed. They called. I kept bluffing. They called. Finally I went all in... and won. Here this guy had spent time teaching me to play, and I beat him. I won't go into how mad he got that I went home and to bed instead of playing at the winner's table... "You beat four guys out of that spot... You need to play!" That's the last time I've played a game of Texas Hold 'Em... go out with a bang, right? Well, at least before my beginner's luck wore off... :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment