Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Something... About the Sunrise

Something about the ocean, makes me rise up and praise
Something about the heavens, makes me stand in awe again
Something about the sunrise,
reminds me of Your faithfulness

Something about the ocean, and I'm lost in love again
Ocean, Ten Shekel Shirt 

Friday, as I was leaving Georgia to drive to the Smokies, I could not believe the amount of snow that was falling.  Really?  In Georgia?  Like 3 inches?!  I couldn't believe it... Regardless, I was eager to hike LeConte again, so I said goodbye to Georgia's snowy weather as I drove to Tennessee.  When I got into Knoxville there was no snow on the ground whatsoever.  That all changed on Saturday when we got into Gatlinburg, turned at the oh-so-familiar Traffic Light 8 and headed for the Rainbow Falls trailhead.  Normally I hike the Alum Cave Bluffs trail... It is about 5 miles, the shortest and arguably the most popular trail up the mountain.  However, we were warned on Friday that it was probably a little too dangerous for us to take that trail and advised we take Rainbow Falls, which is about 6.5 miles.  So, our 10 mile hike changed to a 13 mile hike... not too big of a deal.  Safety first, right?  Well, about 2.5 miles from the trailhead we saw the ever-dreaded "Road Closed" sign.  So, we did what anyone else would have done... hiked the extra 2.5 miles in.  (I mean, that's what you would have done, right? Ha.)  New Estimated Round-Trip Distance: 18 miles.  

Keeping in mind that I usually hike the Alum trail in < 3 hours...or let's say even 4 hours on a bad day...  It took us 8 hours to get up the mountain.  Eight Hours.  During the last mile it was all I could do to even put one foot in front of the other!  I was exhausted--thoroughly and utterly exhausted.  Luckily there had been some hikers before us, helping pack down the trail, but still... hiking through a foot or so of snow is hard work.  I didn't even get my camera out until we made it to the top.  Yeah, I was that tired... 

I don't think I've ever been so happy to reach the top of the mountain!  I was a very happy girl to say the least!  It was absolutely beautiful up there. Katie and Ryan had their camera out on the hike up, so I didn't even bother (hence why I have no pics of the trip up!).    

We were ready to turn in pretty early, around 9, and I was out until about 3am when I woke up sick.  Like really sick.  Most of you know how Nausea and I do not get along.  I was terrified.  Ryan wasn't sleeping very well and I asked him to grab my shoes for me.  I sat down and next thing I knew I was wondering where I was (oh, LeConte, duh) and why I was laying on my back?  I had passed out for a couple seconds... but the good news was that I realized I was no longer nauseous.  I'm not sure I convinced Ryan and Katie that I was fine, but I really felt completely normal!  Crazy.  I think I was just so exhausted and my body didn't know how to react.  

About 6:30 I woke up and and I saw all the lights in Pigeon Forge, so I knew there would be a pretty sunrise.  I started gearing up, and headed out about 7am. 


From the top of the "steps" ... First Light


I stopped on the way out (did not feel up to hiking to Myrtle Point) and watched sunrise from the trail.

Just before the sun showed itself

Taking in all the beauty

The sun peeking over the horizon

I loved the light on the snow!


It was so breathtakingly beautiful that I decided I would regret not hiking the rest of the way out to Myrtle... so I put my camera away and started hiking.  Then, thought better of it.  I hadn't eaten anything yet, and I truly was not feeling very well.  So, after 10 yards I turned around and saw...
...clouds starting to sock us in!

I just stood there watching the clouds rolling in... they went straight for the sun and fell over the mountains like river water.  I was absolutely captivated. 


Fire in the sky

Sunlight on the Snow

-something about the sunrise-

Snow on the Trail

This picture is from last February ('09)...see where the railing is the height of my hip?

This picture is from this February ('10)... see where the railing is only a foot and 1/2 or so above the snow?

February '09

February '10 ... Please note the 12"+ snow on the picnic table!

Ready to hike down the mountain


On the trail down the mountain I kept stepping in the wrong places and falling through the snow... at one point I got myself stuck up to my waist and Ryan had to help pull me out!


Ryan, Katie and I at Rainbow Falls


We were unbelievably happy to make it down the mountain in less than 4 hours...and seriously upset that the roads had been closed giving us 2.5 miles to go. The last couple miles went by fairly well though... especially when we were bursting out in songs from the 80's... :-) We were all in pain at this point.  9 miles of straight uphill on Saturday and 9 miles of straight downhill on Sunday makes your unconditioned legs, back, shoulders and feet... HURT SO BAD.  I mean... hurt so good...

Come on baby, make it hurt so good
Sometimes love don't feel like it should
You make it hurt so good

Hurt So Good, John Mellencamp

Photobucket

5 comments:

Mary said...

WOW!!! How beautiful! Now I know why I missed you on Sunday! :)

Love your new blog look...it is SO you! :)

Cindy J said...

Those are some gorgeous pictures!! You should make a poster or canvas print out of them. I could help you. :)

Glad you didn't stay sick the whole weekend and that it wasn't worse than it was. That would not have been fun for them to carry you out of there-for you or them. :)

Judy said...

Beautiful are the works of the Creator! WOW!

Pretty Pink World said...

Those pictures are absolutely beautiful. :) Wow.

Sarah Martin said...

Just found your blog on Kelly's Korner. LOVE the pics-the Smokies are amazing. I look forward to stopping back by and reading your posts.


sarah martin
www.sheseeks.org-A Ministry for Twentysomethings