Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Welcome, Spring!

It's hard to call it summer when there is still snow on the ground (only in places, don't worry too much)!  And, officially, summer doesn't start for two more weeks!  I had the most amazing visit home in May with the joy of being able to spend three weeks with family and friends all over the midwest and southeast.  Here it is June now and I am (mostly) settled into the Alaskan spring.

After a long day of travel from Atlanta to Anchorage (with severe weather and missed connections),   I finally made it into Alaska around 12:30 in the morning, and into Girdwood around 2am!  I went back to work that day and worked three days before having a few days off now.  Lexie, one of the students I worked with in Marietta, is here for the summer.  I'm thrilled for my new housemate and already enjoying the company of a friend from back home!  We made our monthly grocery shopping trip yesterday, and have begun to settle in.

The daylight is already affecting us- the sun doesn't set until around 11:20, and even then, it isn't getting "dark" until well after 1am.  The sun is rising around 4:30.  Needless to say, there is not much "darkness" at all!  It only took us a couple days before we hung some black out curtains. Just before I visited the lower 48, I moved from one apartment to a new one.  My new apartment is a better price, better location, and more spacious.  Here's a few pics for you:








Cozy and comfortable... I think it was a great find!  Today, Scott, Lexie, and I went for a 5-mile hike down the Winner Creek trail near the resort.  It has been a gorgeous day and it felt great to stretch my legs (and lungs) and hike!  We are headed out for a bike ride in a few minutes; the bore tide is supposed to be *huge* today and we are going to bike the 6-miles to Bird to watch it.  I'll try to get some pics of it today and post later.  In the mean time, here's a few pics from our hike!






Photobucket

No comments: